11th ANNUAL DRAGON BOAT REGATTA
SATURDAY – 14 OCTOBER 2017, 9am – 3pm
Want to help other people? Here is one of the best chances you’ll get this year!!
WHY? ‘Cos it’s time to start planning for your entry in our
11th ANNUAL DRAGON BOAT REGATTA
Hosted again by the Imperial Yacht Club at ZANDVLEI in Lakeside near Muizenberg
Q: HOW CAN YOU DO THAT?
It’s simple… Sign up for a Dragon boat!!!
You can paddle your own boat OR sponsor a boat, and we will find the paddlers for you
Your valuable Investment per team of 11 participants is ONLY R 5, 000.00 (less than R500 per person)
Q: WHY should you GET INVOLVED?
- CLAIM YOUR CSI POINTS – This is a community outreach project supporting local organisations
We are PBO registered & can assist you
- TEAM BUILDING opportunity for your staff! The paddlers and drummer dressed in TEAM OUTFITS are supported on shore by the TEAM BASE CAMP with your own gazebos, bunting, food and refreshments. This adds to the spirit of the day with good Vibes all round
- YEAR END / ‘XMAS’ FUNCTION – Use this as an alternative to a staff Xmas / Year end function AND make a difference to people’s lives at the same time. What a GIFT.
- ANYONE ELSE like – Business people, Family & Friends – for a FUN DAY IN THE SUN
Q: WHO would BENEFIT?
We support the communities in the South Peninsula area and Fish Hoek Valley
ALL proceeds go to your choice of the two Community Projects of the Rotary Club Cape of Good Hope
- ABUSED and ABANDONED WOMEN & CHILDREN – Children don’t ask to be born into this difficult and traumatic world, but we assist & support them via the VDP – Open Door Social Worker Project which provides intervention for children in need of safety and care, family counselling and support, and where absolutely necessary, investigates and oversees removal through the courts, of those children who require foster child care
- EMERGENCY VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER SERVICES (EVS)
These brave and dedicated men and women go out and fight the fires. They and save our lives, our homes and our pets – all as a volunteer service. They need an additional vehicle to enhance their ongoing activities, their infrastructure & support activities
Please HELP US – TO HELP THEM
Contact: Bev Frieslich – 021 782 8062 or 082 825 6053 – or bevfrieslich [at] telkomsa [dot] net
Electronic Banking details:
Bank: FNB – Fish Hoek Branch
Account Name: The Rotary Club Cape of Good Hope
Account number: 620 951 636 49
Bank code: 202309
Reference: Your Name and “Dragon Boat”
Send Proof of payment / donations to: Susan O’Hagan Ward – susan [at] jap [dot] co [dot] za or call her Cell: 082 964 9698 or Home: 021 785 6798
Some points of clarity and information
The venue provides fantastic viewing positions for everyone to see the entire race. Families and friends can watch and encourage their teams from the comfort of their TEAM BASE CAMP on the banks or near Zandvlei.
- The event is managed by experienced members of the Western Cape Dragon Boat Association, which involves the loading and unloading of the boats, safety on the water and race time keeping.
- Your sponsored Dragon Boat needs to be manned by an 11 man team consisting of 10 paddlers plus one
drummer. It is supported by an experienced helmsman of the Western Province Dragon Boat Association
- Teams need to choose a name eg: “Rotary River Riders” and wear an appropriate team costume / outfit
- ** Paddling training will be available from two weeks prior to event at the V&A Waterfront
ON THE DAY
- The racing day starts at 9am and consists of various heats in which all teams compete several times
- NB: Crews must remain alert for announcements to load for their races and be aware of the fact that they could be required to paddle in a later race which will culminate in the nail-biting final race
- Listen for announcements on the loud speakers
- Keep an eye on the race results which will be updated on the scoreboard after each race
- TROPHIES & MEDALS – will be presented at the end of the day for: Fastest Team, Best Construction Company Team, Best Team Spirit and the Best Dressed Team and more…
SHORE SIDE ARRANGEMENTS
- Designated plots for the TEAM BASE CAMP SITES of approx 4x4m are available in the grounds with safety walkways between. Please keep these evacuation routes FREE of tents, guy ropes etc
Allocation of plots is on a “first come – first serve” basis
Corporate bunting and marketing items are allowed. These must be well secured against the wind Gazebos, small tents etc– with chairs and tables, may be erected on these sites provided the marked emergency walkways are kept open
- Catering: Self-catering of food and liquid refreshments is permitted
Gas fires will be permitted ONLY if you have a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher on site
Hot & cold beverages, Bacon & Boerewors rolls etc will be available for purchase at the venue
Alcohol for personal consumption may be brought onto the premises but not sold
If you want to, pre-order large amounts of food, please contact KAREN DAUELSBERG on 082 564 6840
- Strict control of any inebriated crews / public members will be enforced by the Dragon Boat Association
- Management reserve the right to enforce any activity that compromises our safety precautions
- Children’s play area with games & face painting will be available for the children
- No parking is allowed inside the Club grounds. Parking is available on the pavements and general areas.
Kindly take local residents needs/ rights into account when you park
SAFETY: Is of paramount importance at all times
- Lifejackets will be provided for all entrants
- A safety boats from the FBYC will manned by qualified life guards who will be on duty the entire day.
- Security guards will be present
- CMR- Medical personnel will be at the event in the case of any emergencies
- Inebriated team paddlers will not be permitted – as per the decision of the race controllers – the WPDBA